Re: Ugly firefox icon

David P James wrote:
On Wed 7 July 2004 01:26, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:21:43PM -0300, Toshiro wrote:

I'm using sid and I noticed that instead of the fine firefox
default icon (the fox around the globe) I have a really ugly blue
globe; am I the only one with this icon or is it part of debian?

Anybody know how to get the original icon back?

Short answer is you can't get the "official" icons in a non-official
package.  That is anything not packaged directly by the Firefox team.

Yes, another consequence of Mozilla.org and especially Firefox's newfound focus on Windows users. Since Microsoft is unlikely to distribute a copy of Firefox (much less modify it) with Windows, the notion of others distributing it, as Debian and other Linux distributions do, is largely below the radar of those in charge. I believe the maintainer tried to secure permission to use the icon but couldn't. He was lucky to be able to use the name "Firefox" from what I recall.

I doubt he tried very hard since even if mozilla.org granted Debian permission to use it, the permission would likely be non-transferable and consequently not DFSG-free.