Re: Cannot login or su

Hello! Simon,

Thank you for the prompt help! I double checked my box and confirmed
that these files/lines do exist.

By the way, the exact error message from "su" is

su: Module is unknown
Sorry.

and login from other boxes or system console (not xterm) to localhost
yields error:

System boot up in progress - please wait

login incorrect

Regards,

CN

> I wonder if "pam"(the "pluggable authentication modules") has somehow
> got stuffed up? That might explain the "su: Module not found" message.
>
> In directory /etc/pam.d I have a number of files. The "login" one is
> critical to allowing user logins. There's lots of comments in these
> files, but the critical files/lines are:
[snip]