Re: Cannot login or su

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 19:11, CN wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have installed woody in 3 boxes. Suddently I can't login to one of
> them.
> I am not sure if this problem has to do with the upgrade of wine package
> (version 20040615).
>
> Now I have only 2 ways to access this problematic box:
> (1) using boot floppy disks
> (2) starting X by sudo in startup script and using xterm from within
> window managers
>
> However, I can't su from non-root accounts in xterm, either. su yields
> error message:
>
> su: Module not found
> Sorry.
>
> sudo seems to be working fine.
> When I try "telnet localhost" from xterm in the same box, the system
> prompts me "login:", but after any account followed by enter key (line
> feed) are entered, the system does not prompt me password. It instead
> directly responds with login failure.
>
> If I telnet from other boxes and give the problematic box the login
> account, the problematic box does not prompt password, either. Then it
> says:
>
> System bootup in progres - please wait
>
> Files passwd and shadow look good.
>
> How to fix this? Please!

Hi,

I wonder if "pam"(the "pluggable authentication modules") has somehow
got stuffed up? That might explain the "su: Module not found" message.

In directory /etc/pam.d I have a number of files. The "login" one is
critical to allowing user logins. There's lots of comments in these
files, but the critical files/lines are:

file login:
  auth       required   pam_env.so
  @include common-auth
  @include common-account
  @include common-session
  @include common-password

file common-auth:
  auth    required        pam_unix.so nullok_secure

file common-account:
  account required        pam_unix.so

file common-session:
  session required        pam_unix.so

file common-password:
  password   required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

And of course the pam_unix.so, pam_env.so, etc files need to be
available. On my system they are in:
  /lib/security

There's no guaruntee that pam is the problem, just my guess..

Regards,

Simon