Package question, Woody versus Sarge

Hello, all.

I've finally started running Debian in my home infrastructure, and I'm
looking to expand its role. I have a couple questions.

I have Sarge running, and there's a package I particularly need: POSE.
There appears to be a POSE package in Woody, but not in Sarge. Does this
mean that POSE has been dropped and won't appear in future releases?

A related question... I downloaded the .deb files for POSE and its
dependencies, and I installed each of them with 'dpkg -i'. They now
show up in dselect. I was wondering if there's a safe and reasonable
way to be able to access packages from another release automatically,
without having to wrangle the .deb files by hand...?

Thanks, all.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped