Re: recommendation for digital camera

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 06:00:42PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> 1) A cost of $500 or under.

Well the Canon A80 is $550 but works for me.

> 2) Needs to work well with Debian (obviously). I think the best support is
> obtained by cameras that are seen as USB mass storage devices, right?

There's PPT aswell which the Canon does and is supported linux-side.

> 3) Preferably uses as little proprietary technology as possible. This may
> not be a realistic requirement, though. I'm basically trying to avoid the
> situation when I can only buy an accessory made by the company
> manufactured by the camera because nothing else is compatible.

I'm using a transcend CF card in mine with a kodak cf->pcmcia card and
a *insert weirdarse brand here* cf->usb device. It shows up just fine.
The lens adapter is canon-only but is cheap and I believe (don't quote
me on it) that you can fit any lens to that.

Batteries are 4xAA.

> 4) Something 4 Megapixel or over would be good, I think.

4MP.

--
    Red herrings strewn hither and yon.