Re: Unidentified subject!

David Fokkema wrote:

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 07:58:34AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
David Fokkema wrote:

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:19:58PM +0100, JOHN WALL wrote:
E:could not open lock file/var/lib/dpkg/lock-open(13 Permission)
E:unable to lock the administration directory(/var/lib/dpkg/)
are you root
Since you didn't log in as root

That's the problem. Just log out, and log back in as root. Then try "tasksel".

Another problem is that the OP claims he was never asked for a root
password. Even if he was, he probably can't be sure now what he entered
then.

Ouch.

Oh, well, in that case . . .

John: You can fix this, but since you don't have anything important on your system (presumably) yet, you could take this opportunity to reinstall. Normally you never have to reinstall a Linux system to fix problems like this, but the experience of a second install might do you some good. (In other words, a reinstall would be for your benefit, not for your system's benefit.) It'd probably take all of ten minutes (if I understand correctly that you've just done a base install). But if you'd rather not get the experience, we can help you recover your root password if you'd like.

--
Kent