Re: Unidentified subject!

Hi John,

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:19:58PM +0100, JOHN WALL wrote:
> Thanks for your help, I booted up and was asked for the
> user name and password, this I gave and then typed in
> tasksel, I chose X window and desk top environment and
> chose finish and got this report on screen.
> E:could not open lock file/var/lib/dpkg/lock-open(13 Permission)
> E:unable to lock the administration directory(/var/lib/dpkg/)
> are you root
> I tried answering yes or Y to the question and the right hand
> side of the screen filled from top to botom with the letter Y.
> Any Ideas please ?

Since you didn't log in as root, tasksel will be unable to install the
packages. And, unfortunately for people who are not (yet) used to
debian, the error messages can be quite cryptic, although a probable
explanation is offered: are you root? I'm afraid it wasn't a question,
so typing Y won't accomplish anything, except fill up the screen.

> I take it that the first time I installed this program I was nearly
> there. I just need to understand the jargon.

Yes, this is probably true. Did you read the Debian Installation Manual?
It is a good, although quite lengthy, document describing the
installation process. Get it at:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

and choose Intel x86 if you are installing on an ordinary PC.

> Ps. Haven`t had a request for root password.

???

> PPs. Yes I subscribed last night once I`d worked out what to do.
> thanks

Good! Then you will probably receive more replies. Mind you, the list is
high-volume, so if you didn't choose the 'digest' option, you will
receive _a lot_ of mail. If your mail software has the ability to
throw messages in different folders (debian has, of course, :-) then you
will probably want to do so.

Let's see... just to try to figure out what exactly went wrong and why
you weren't asked about a root password, let me outline the installation
process without any detail.

	- You boot from CD
	- (better type 'bf24' instead of just hitting 'enter')
	- You are walked through the installation process
	- The installer wants to reboot the system (see screenshot [1])
	- The computer will reboot and boots into your new system. You
	  will see things like screenshot [2]
	- When the computer finishes booting, you will see the base
	  config screen (screenshot [3])
	- And here, you will be asked to fill in the root password
	  (screenshot [4])
	- And you will also be able to run tasksel (screenshot [5])
	- And once it is all done, you will be able to log in
	  (screenshot [6])

So... which part of the installation did you not see? And a (somewhat)
important question (to figure things out): what login name did you
specify when you logged into your system?

David

PS: I CC'ed to the list, since there are a lot of knowledgeable people
there which might be able to immediately see where things went wrong.

[1] http://nebula.homeunix.net/~dfokkema/reboot.png
[2] http://nebula.homeunix.net/~dfokkema/booting.png
[3] http://nebula.homeunix.net/~dfokkema/firstboot.png
[4] http://nebula.homeunix.net/~dfokkema/rootpassword.png