Re: apt-get dselect-upgrade

David Fokkema wrote:
> Sam Halliday wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > when i first installed debian i tried to bring over my list of packages
> > using`dpkg --set-selections`, but i ended up just using aptitude and
> > starting afresh.
> >
> > but i recently ran `apt-get dselect-upgrade` and it seems to have a memory
> > of all apps i originally wanted to pull over... is there any way i can clear
> > that list, as i would like to be able to use `apt-get dselect-upgrade` for
> > other reasons (namely a script to purge all uninstalled apps)
>
> What is the output of
> dpkg --get-selections

it then prints out what i have installed on the system and nothing else, the
problem is not with the output of this program, it is that when i type `apt-get
dselect-upgrade` it seems to have a memory of a different list and tries to grab
the packages. essentially i would like to synchronise the TODO list with the
list that is currently installed on my system.

> I'm wondering whether you can distinguish between 'install'ed packages
> and something like 'to be installed'. I honestly do not know. But if the
> output gives you differences, you could run sed on it and change 'to be
> installed' to 'purge' and you'd be set, I think.

yeah... that would work if `dpkg --get-selections` was showing that kind of
information... but its not.