Re: L 90 90 90 90 90

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 15:24:55 +0100
"Owen Jones" <owen@cellarmation.f2s.com> wrote:

> When the computer re-booted it just thro up L 90 90 90 90 90 90 90...
> when i tried to run the OS on the HD. This is a lilo error isnt it?
> does this mean i have installed it wrong, or i have used the wrong
> distirbutation.

I don't know if it has been fixed recently, or if it is a bug at all,
but on some of my systems, LILO just fails to work correctly and needs
to be re-run.

My advice (which probably won't help you all that much right now) is to
have an up-to-date boot disk specifically tailored to your system ready
at all times. So if you're using a 2.4 series kernel, have a similar 2.4
bootdisk and make sure to create a new one when migrating to the 2.6
series kernel or when you're changing your hardware in a way that makes
a new kernel necessary. If possible, test the bootdisk on another system
to see if it gets past the "LILO loading stuff" line befor even
considering rebooting your system.

The base or network install debian boot CDs also used to do a pretty
good job for that, just get to the "make the system bootable" point
directly.

Don't depend on Knoppix to fix a barfed bootloader, I haven't seen one
painless attempt yet, and I've seen a lot of trial and error.

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de