Re: Comparision presentation of Debian with RedHat

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Ralph Katz wrote:

> On 06/30/04 09:00, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > Dear Users, I need a little help. We are an ISP and running RedHat
> > distribution on our servers. I want to migrate them to Debian
> > gradually because of the excellent features that Debian provides like
> > policy, package management, release cycle, security updates and many
> > more. I'm looking for a presentation on "Differences between RedHat
> > and Debian" so as to convince my management. I'd be thankful if
> > anyone could help me in this regard.

that'd be a good idea ot use deb for now .. esp since rh is going the
ms route

> >  What Are The Main Differences Between RH & Debian?

rh has commercial support $500 - $3,000 for the distro and than $50K for
annual support contract for teh big-boyz corp

debian is NOT a company per se, so you cannot buy debian cd directly

debian has better package management

*.deb and *.rpm patches are readily available, but...
	except, you cannot necessarily get newer *.rpm security patches
	for the obsoleted/unsupported rh-9

	- you do might not want play with new security patches for
	newer supported rh ( fedora, EL3, .. )

rh is a lot simpler/better installer for doing root raid installs
but it doesnt support reiserfs

there is no major differences at the app level between any
linux distro ( same kernel, same apache, same mta, same bash, same foo )
	- same 20,000 - 30,000 packages

the major differences is how often and how long it takes for you to
fiddle and tweek the system anytime you want to upgrade this or upgrade
that to the lastest version for xxx reason to do those changes

both have the same support mechanisms
	- free support in ml, web, howtos
	- you can pay for commercial support if you want

	- you can buy anything with any linux distro preinstalled
	if you dont like the pain of making sound/x11/fonts/nic working

- some summary differences
	http://linux-diff.net/

c ya
alvin