Re: How hard would this be?(Learning LaTex)

David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl> said on Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:52:17 +0200:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 02:22:12PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:45:20PM +1000, Tim Connors wrote:
> > >
> > > ppower4 (for incremental build of pages in presentations)
> >
> > I have recently worked a little bit with latex-beamer that is also a
> > nice tool to build a pdf for presentations.
>
> Nice? It's great! :-) I've used prosper for my M.Sc. thesis talk (how do
> you call that in english???) and think latex-beamer is even better.
>
> But I am interested in starting external applications within a latex
> presentation. Tim, do you have any examples?

for viewing .fli movie files (good for lossless compression of easily
encoded (eg png and gif files) animations, as long as you have plenty
of diskspace, doesn't need much CPU for decoding, and can be played
back at whatever desired rate) in an external xanim process with my
required flags:

\usepackage[screen,panelleft,code,paneltoc,sectionbreak]{pdfscreen}
%this is what I use - but you can probably get away with just href, or
%hyper or whatever it is (pdscreen imports the requisit module)

\href{file:/home/office/tconnors/fiducial/pview.fli}

add in ~/.mailcap:
application/fli;/home/office/tconnors/magellanic/xanimview %s

add in ~/.mime.types:
application/fli fli

and ~/magellanic/xanimview is:
xanim +o +Zp0 +Zpe +Zr +j50 "$@"