Re: How hard would this be?(Learning LaTex)

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:21:41PM -0500, cecil wrote:
> Someone told me today at lunch that what with my  "wierd obsession", as
> he called it, to perhaps go without a gui(X), I should try "that latex
> thingie". My buddy is a real wordmaster. LOL. I did some reading up on
> it; it's interesting. I never knew that you could do all that with no
> window system. Does anyone here use it on a regular basis, and if so,
> how hard is it to use, setup, print, etc? I'm having thoughts of perhaps
> writing papers this semester in emacs and if this thing... Well, let's
> just say I'm trying to have an open mind about things. I'm trying not to
> summarily dismiss thing just because I don't know what they are, or, are
> not familiar with them.

LaTeX is great.
I wouldn't have tried TeX, that seems too daunting, but I used LaTeX for
my final year dissertation, and it was easy and quick to learn the
basics.

Just use your favourite text editor to edit, and 'tetex' is the Debian
package IIRC.

You can produce postcript and PDFs (and others) with the various
post-processing packages.

Another use I've found is to convert Project Gutenburg texts into
something prettier to print. It doesn't take long to do a reasonable
length book, and its much nicer to read. (I could automate it I suppose,
but I don't do it often enough.

A great reference is:
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/latex/

HTH