Re: Moving from RedHat/KDE to Debian/KDE

James Sinnamon wrote:

I have an established Red Hat 9.0 system and I am trying to migrate to a Debian/Sarge system using all the same /home/* subdirectories. I am simply hoping to have a desktop and display that has the same resolution and roughly the same functionality, to begin with, as I had with RedHat.

1. Resolution reduced from 1024x768 to 800x600 on 19" monitor.
I am not able to keep the same resolution as I can on my Redhat system. My Debian system only achieves 800x600, whilst my existing RedHat achieves 1024x768. I can't think of any obvious reason why the resolution can't be the same.
This might just be a matter of settings (try "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86") or it might be that RH shipped a proprietary video driver that you don't have by default in Debian (I'm thinking particularly of the Debian "nv" driver as opposed to the proprietary nVidia driver).

--
Kent