Moving from RedHat/KDE to Debian/KDE

Dear KDE/Debian users,

(Similar e-mail previously sent to kde-debian@kde.org)

I have an established Red Hat 9.0 system and I am trying to migrate to a
Debian/Sarge  system using all the same /home/* subdirectories.  I am
simply hoping to have a desktop and display that has the same resolution
and roughly the same functionality, to begin with, as I had with RedHat.

It should be possible to simply find the existing configuration settings
on my RedHat system and copy them to my Debian system, but
I don't really know where to locate the essential information.

At the moment, my Debian/KDE system has the following problems:

1. Resolution reduced from 1024x768 to 800x600 on 19" monitor.
I am not able to keep the same resolution as I can on my Redhat system.
My Debian system only achieves 800x600, whilst my existing
RedHat achieves 1024x768.  I can't think of any obvious reason why the
resolution can't be the same.

2.  Konsole tab 'icon size' context sensitive menu  missing

This feature is inexplicably missing in Debian KDE,
(I prefer the smallest possible icon size to preserve desktop space.)

3.  Lost access to menus and other Kpanel features

When I click on the spot where my menu used to be located, I get
the message:

   "failed to read Directory".

(It may be problems with permissions, because the new account number did
not, at first match the old, but I can't see the obvious blace to look other
than somewhere in ${HOME}/.kde/.)

...So I would greatly appreciate any thoughts about how to preserve what
is in my existing RedHat 9.0 installation.

Any recommended tutorial/documentary material?

After many years, I still find all of X Windows and KDE
etc completely overwhelming.  From where I stand it's complexity
seems to approach that of neuroscience.

Are there any good online documentary resources which could explain
how X Windows and KDE fit together?  I would like to be able to understand
how the Menu structures and other settings relate to files and directory
structures.

TIA

James Sinnamon
--
jps at westnet com auStralia
ph +61 412 319669, +61 2 95692123, +61 2 95726357