Re: Moving from RedHat/KDE to Debian/KDE

James Sinnamon wrote:

Dear KDE/Debian users,

(Similar e-mail previously sent to kde-debian@kde.org)

I have an established Red Hat 9.0 system and I am trying to migrate to a Debian/Sarge system using all the same /home/* subdirectories. I am simply hoping to have a desktop and display that has the same resolution and roughly the same functionality, to begin with, as I had with RedHat.

I moved from RHL 7.3 to Woody, taking my home directories with me, and that was pretty painless.

When you go to Debian user/group numbers, you'll need to chown -R the directories to fix ownership.

Sadly, at RHL 8.0, Red Hat borked the KDE look & feel so much it inflamed the KDE people, and Bero (the RH KDE guru) left Red Hat.

It should be possible to simply find the existing configuration settings
on my RedHat system and copy them to my Debian system, but
I don't really know where to locate the essential information.

At the moment, my Debian/KDE system has the following problems:

1. Resolution reduced from 1024x768 to 800x600 on 19" monitor.

I find configuring X on Debian a never-ending challenge. A technique I (and a few other I know) use is to boot Knoppix and copy its configuration file. Works a treat.

I am not able to keep the same resolution as I can on my Redhat system. My Debian system only achieves 800x600, whilst my existing RedHat achieves 1024x768. I can't think of any obvious reason why the resolution can't be the same.

2.  Konsole tab 'icon size' context sensitive menu  missing

This feature is inexplicably missing in Debian KDE,
(I prefer the smallest possible icon size to preserve desktop space.)

3.  Lost access to menus and other Kpanel features

These problems may well result from RH's changes.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait