Re: inetd & inetd.conf

On 29 Jun 2004 12:23:22 +0100
Keith O'Connell <kroc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I just had to edit the /etc/inetd.conf file. In order for the
>         changes to take effect the machine had to be rebooted.
>
>         Is this the wrong approach. Is there a way for changes in
>         inetd.conf to be enacted without the need to take the machine
>         down and up again?

Reading the manual is useful for this sort of thing.

stax:~-526> man inetd
Reformatting inetd(8), please wait...

INETD(8)                  BSD System Manager's Manual                 INETD(8)

NAME
     inetd - internet ``super-server''

SYNOPSIS
     inetd [-d] [-q queuelength] [configuration file]

DESCRIPTION
     Inetd should be run at boot time by /etc/init.d/inetd (or /etc/rc.local
     on some systems).  It then listens for connections on certain internet
     sockets.  When a connection is found on one of its sockets, it decides
     what service the socket corresponds to, and invokes a program to service
     the request.  After the program is finished, it continues to listen on
			[ snip ]
     Inetd rereads its configuration file when it receives a hangup signal,
     SIGHUP.  Services may be added, deleted or modified when the configura-
     tion file is reread.  Inetd creates a file /var/run/inetd.pid that con-
     tains its process identifier.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)