Re: Moving from RedHat/KDE to Debian/KDE

On (29/06/04 21:12), James Sinnamon wrote:
> Dear KDE/Debian users,
>
> (Similar e-mail previously sent to kde-debian@kde.org)
>
> I have an established Red Hat 9.0 system and I am trying to migrate to a
> Debian/Sarge  system using all the same /home/* subdirectories.  I am
> simply hoping to have a desktop and display that has the same resolution
> and roughly the same functionality, to begin with, as I had with RedHat.
>
> It should be possible to simply find the existing configuration settings
> on my RedHat system and copy them to my Debian system, but
> I don't really know where to locate the essential information.
>
> At the moment, my Debian/KDE system has the following problems:
>
> 1. Resolution reduced from 1024x768 to 800x600 on 19" monitor.
> I am not able to keep the same resolution as I can on my Redhat system.
> My Debian system only achieves 800x600, whilst my existing
> RedHat achieves 1024x768.  I can't think of any obvious reason why the
> resolution can't be the same.
Hi James

try (as root) dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

I run KDE but haven't explored the config files too deeply however, if
you share the connfig files between two systems you may find conflicts
and anomolies - other may have more insight into this.

Regards

Clive