No hope for DRI on Radeon Mobility M6 LY?

My laptop has one of these cards which are suposed to have 8192K of Video
RAM.  Unfortunately as this excerpt from /var/log/xfree86.0.log shows

(WW) RADEON(0): Static buffer allocation failed -- need at least 9216 kB
video memory

(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

I'm a little short.  Is there any workaround for this?  Some parameter I
can tweak to reduce the amount of video memory needed?

I'm running sarge with xfree86 4.3.0-dfsg.1-4 on a Thinkpad X24.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>