Re: copy os files from CD to hd

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:42:41PM +0100, joe mc cool wrote:
> Please,
>
> I've hosed my system, entirely my fault.
>
> It will only boot of one of the Installation CDs, number 5.  This give
> me 2.4.18-bf2.4 and everything works fine.
>
> What files do I copy from this CD and to where to have a normal HD boot.
>
> Sorry to trouble you all with this.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Joe Mc Cool

What exactly do you have behind on the disk, what does it do when you
try to boot it?

Depending on the state of things, but you could copy
/boot/vmlinuz... to /boot, setup /etc/lilo.conf to boot it (if you have
one behind that uses /vmlinuz then make is as a symlink to the kernel
you copied) and try running lilo (you will need to chroot to the root
of your hardisk partition so the right files will be used).

If this doesn't work then there is something more wrong with your
system.

If all the file are there but it just doesn't boot then maybe the
chroot + running lilo will be enough.

If not then there are more problems, and it may be safer/easier to
backup your files (maybe using some linux cd) and reinstall.