Re: ntp configuration

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 17:01, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > blm@ingwaz.pair.com wrote:
> > > In short, I reckon the ntp stuff needs more documentation especially
> > > about the debian specific stuff.  Is this valid?
> >
> > Yes.  But I assume you are running stable.  If sid ever gets out the
> > door you will see some significant updates and improvements in NTP.
>
> I am on sid, and I find it particularly challenging. Man pages point to
> HTML docs, which are not like man pages - in fact they get into so much
> background, that just configuring it for (my, or any as I can tell)
> specific scenario takes ages - of reading through the background
> material.

That is the upstream documentation.  Other than man pages that is what
there is.  Upstream documentation is not going to know about
distribution policies and practices like /etc/init.d/ntpdate.

This is one of the classic arguments for BSD over GNU/Linux.  BSD is
meant to be a consistent monolithic entity.  But GNU/Linux is a loose
collection of disparate programs.

I suppose Debian could hack the man pages and add this.  But then it
would always need to do that.  And it can be a lot of work to fork off
like this.  I would hesitate to suggest that.

> I have to agree with Ben here - even for sid. Yes there's a great
> quantity of documentation, and that is a lot better than none :) But
> it's not as convenient as "regular debian" documentation - not by a long
> shot.

I can't disagree.  But /etc/init.d/* files are scripts.  I usually
look there to see what configuration they take.  Being scripts they
are all readable.  That is the first place I look even before looking
at any man page.

> > In the latest ntp configuration the file is /etc/default/ntpdate.  So
> > your problem is already fixed and will be in the next Debian release.
>
> I think you just missed what he was saying - not there there is a file
> missing in /etc/default, but that he didn't know that there was a file
> in /etc/default in the first place, and that the man page should have
> included that bit of information.

I had missed that.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Again, I suggest looking in /etc/init.d/* for this information.

> Even after quite a few emails of support from this list (and thanks very
> much to those who helped) I still can't get my laptop to sync with my
> server.

Oh, gosh, I will open the can marked "worms".  What is the problem?
Of course I may be a bad person to ask since it has always just worked
for me.  I have never needed to debug it.  I use it on all of the work
machines and on my laptop to keep the time.  My laptop moves from
network to network and it syncs fine.

Bob