Re: Telnet broken on Woody? (was Help with telnet...)

Scott wrote:
> Any other suggestions?  It just appears telnet is broke on woody.

telnet works fine on woody.  I hate to admit to it but we have it
installed on all of our machines and it works fine.  I recommend using
telnetd-ssl insetad of telnetd becuase ssh will nag you about it
otherwise.  A darn nuisance.

> I have searched the archives and invariably when wnayone wants to
> set it up they get a lecture on how to use ssh instead.

Only because telnet is an intrinsically insecure protocol.  So most
people won't admit to using it.

> Not one single article I could
> find where anyone who asked for help with telnet on woody got it to work
> :-(.

I can only think that your problem is that you are trying to use
xinetd.  It is probably xinetd which is broken.  Woody I really an
inetd based system, not xinetd.  Basically I think you have a broken
xinetd and not a broken telnetd.

> Any other suggestions?  Anyone?

then I would be willing to help since I have used that configuration
for years.  I have not ever used xinetd and know little about it.

Bob