re: Telnet broken on Woody? (was Help with telnet...)

Thanks, Shaun. No luck:

> I am no xinetd guru, but if I were to guess I'd say there's
> something wrong with the "user=nobody" line. If the telnet
> daemon starts as nobody, it won't be able to gain the
> permissions of the user that wants to login.
>
> $ ls -l /usr/lib/telnetlogin
> -rwsr-xr--    1 root     telnetd      5736 Apr  6  2002 /usr/
> lib/telnetlogin
>
> It looks like the user should be someone in the telnetd group.
> Try "user=telnetd", and make sure that the user telnetd is in
> the telnetd group.

Yes, I tried that (user=telnet) and that user exists.  The "nobody" came
from a xinetd how-to/tutorial page I tried in desperation.  What I posted
was just the last state of the conf file.  Still does not work however.

Any other suggestions?  It just appears telnet is broke on woody.  I have
searched the archives and invariably when wnayone wants to set it up they
get a lecture on how to use ssh instead.  Not one single article I could
find where anyone who asked for help with telnet on woody got it to work
:-(.  While I understand and agree with their logic, there are times when
one would want to use telnet.  I DO NOT want to get into that, it's been
hashed a gazillion times, but I do need to be able to tunr on telnet when
needed.  Never had any trouble on Redhat, just dont' see what's wrong here.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it with dselect, still won't work.

Any other suggestions?  Anyone?