Re: bash profile how?

Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> Once upon a time Bob Proulx said...
> > Using 'exec -l' plus using #!/bin/bash works.  At
> > least I can't refute it after thinking about it for the day.
>
> If you mean to put the #!/bin/bash in
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start,

No.  I did not say or mean to imply that.

> it wont work because the
> files in /etc/X11/Xsession.d are not executed, but sourced instead. The
> #!/bin/bash is then just going to be treated as a comment.

Looking at the messages I can't see anyone suggesting to modify
99xfree86-common_start for #!/bin/bash.  The suggestion has been to
modify /etc/X11/Xsession for #!/bin/bash and use 'exec -l' in
99xfree86-common_start.  Conceptually they are both the same script
since Xsession sources the directory of files and is all the same
process.

> Furthermore, is it guaranteed that an X display manager (xdm, kdm, gdm
> or some future dm) will set the SHELL environment variable? Is this
> documented as a requirement for a display manager?

Good question.  I believe that it does since it runs as the user and
not as root.  The documentation specifically states that it uses HOME
which leads me to believe that SHELL would always be set as well.

Bob