Re: bash profile how?

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:15:24 -0400
Paul Galbraith <paul@paulgalbraith.net> wrote:

> >>For some reason bash isn't sourcing /etc/profile. In fact after adding .
> >>/etc/profile to .bash_profile I don't think .bash_profile is being
> >sourced>b/c it had no effect.
> >>
> > How are you starting the shell?  If it's an xterm, it isn't a login
> > shell unless it is started with "xterm -ls" or the resource
> > "*vt100.loginShell: true"
>
> I assume you're using a gdm or xdm or kdm...someone earlier on this list
> taught me this...I just wrote a .xsession file in my home directory that
> looks like this:
>
> 	#!/bin/bash --login
> 	exec x-session-manager
>
> and now /etc/profile and .bash_profile are sourced properly for me.

Yes, I think this is my problem. But I don't understand what the reasoning
is for this default configuration. Obviously if the .bash_profile and
.profile exist they are meant to be sourced. But if the default behavior
is not to start any logon shells what's the point?

If what you suggest is the correct solution (it certainly sounds good)
then why isn't it included in the default /etc/skel or created by *dm?

I'm just trying to understand the reasoning here. I'm using debian on
two systems now and I want to know how to administer it properly.

Mike

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.