Re: bash profile how?

Bill Marcum wrote:
On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 11:01:06PM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:

For some reason bash isn't sourcing /etc/profile. In fact after adding .
/etc/profile to .bash_profile I don't think .bash_profile is being sourced
b/c it had no effect.

I just wiped RH 7.3 and I don't know the shell best-practices for Debian.
Please advise. I'm running testing w/ 2.4.26.

How are you starting the shell? If it's an xterm, it isn't a login shell unless it is started with "xterm -ls" or the resource "*vt100.loginShell: true"

I assume you're using a gdm or xdm or kdm...someone earlier on this list taught me this...I just wrote a .xsession file in my home directory that looks like this:

	#!/bin/bash --login
	exec x-session-manager

and now /etc/profile and .bash_profile are sourced properly for me.