Re: bash profile how?

Michael B Allen wrote:
> "s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I think this is my problem. But I don't understand what the
> > > reasoning is for this default configuration. Obviously if the
> > > .bash_profile and

I recently posted this on that subject.

> > Apparently, the two are dancing around each other, attempting to not
> > step on each other's toes.  Consequently, they both end up wrong.
>
> Well I can appreciate having separate profiles for sh and bash. I have cron
> jobs and cgi scripts that need a certain consistent environment that differs
> from the environment used for development. But the problem is I cannot seem
> to locate the mechanism to trigger all shells derived from a user logon to
> be logon shells. Such a mechanism must exist or there would be no point in
> having separate profiles. Or perhaps disperate packagers are not
> coordinating?

I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head.  How do you make
it work for all possible shells?  I believe that to be the crux of the
issue.  Anything that is done is wrong for one shell or another.
Therefore the only way you can win is not to play and the problem is
pushed down to the user who does not need to be general but can be
specific.  They can say that they are runing shell X and set up the
environment specifically for shell X without attempting to work for
other shells.

Someone else asked why isn't this in /etc/skel?  I agree that would be
nice.  Let me force my choice of shell upon everyone!  But the zsh and
tcsh users would disagree, both with me and with each other, on the
choice.  I can see no way to plant a default version in /etc/skel and
have it be right for everyone.

Bob