Re: AAARRRGGGGHHHH! How does one set up woody to talk to an HP Deskjet 882C printer?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:27:24 -0700
the softrat <softrat@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:40:08 +0200, the softrat <softrat@pobox.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:20:07 +0200, "Jacob S."
> ><stormspotter@6texans.net> wrote:
> >
> >>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:13:53 -0700
> >>the softrat <softrat@pobox.com> wrote:
> >>
> >><snip>
> >>
> >>Ok. A little more information would be helpful here. Which specific
> >>driver did you use when you configured the printer in cups?
> >>
> >>Cups will let you administer your own printer. Make sure to use the
> >root>username and password when it prompts for it.
> >>
> >What's the difference between the 'root username' and 'root'? And it
> >won't let me! It tells me that I am not authorised to use that
> >resource.....

Some programs have their own logins and passwords. In this case I was
trying to differentiate that it's the root username and password for the
whole machine, not just some login for cups.

> I should have asked, "What is the format (syntax and/or semantics) of
> the 'root username'?"
>
> I see now that I am getting a *Fatal Error* at startup time:
>
> "Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'"

Ah, that's some helpful information. Do you perhaps have lpd running in
the background or something? (ps ax | grep lpd will let you check that).
Also, "netstat -nvl --program | grep 515" when run as root will show you
what your machine thinks is listening on port 515.

On my machine, it says inetd is listening on 515, which indeed it should
be. It then calls cups when a print job starts comin' down the queue.

> Maybe *this* is why my print spooler is not working....

hmm... Didn't you say it was working except for stair-stepped text once
before? Did you change something since then?

Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #13:
The nice thing about Windows is - It doesn't just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.