Re: AAARRRGGGGHHHH! How does one set up woody to talk to an HP Deskjet 882C printer?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:40:08 +0200, the softrat <softrat@pobox.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:20:07 +0200, "Jacob S."
><stormspotter@6texans.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:13:53 -0700
>>the softrat <softrat@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:50:05 +0200, Kevin Mark
>>> <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com> wrote:
>><snip>
>>> You didn't answer my question! And how come CUPS won't let me
>>> administer my own printer??!!????
>>
>>Ok. A little more information would be helpful here. Which specific
>>driver did you use when you configured the printer in cups?
>>
>>Cups will let you administer your own printer. Make sure to use the root
>>username and password when it prompts for it.
>>
>What's the difference between the 'root username' and 'root'? And it
>won't let me! It tells me that I am not authorised to use that
>resource.....

I should have asked, "What is the format (syntax and/or semantics) of
the 'root username'?"

I see now that I am getting a *Fatal Error* at startup time:

"Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'"

Maybe *this* is why my print spooler is not working....

HHAAAALLLLLPPPP!!!!

>><nasty wrap-around... some lines trimmed below>
>>>
>>> So?
>>>
>>> And how do I verify/fix this?
>>
>>You can see what versions/packages you have by doing
>>dpkg -l <packagename> and/or dpkg -l | grep cups, etc.
>>
>>As long as you have the packages I mentioned in a previous e-mail
>>installed though, I don't really expect you to need to upgrade anything.
>>
>>Jacob
>
>And on we plod .....
>
>the softrat
>"Honi soit qui mal y pense."
>mailto:softrat@pobox.com
>--
>"Calling Robert Jordan's characters
>'cardboard' is, frankly, impugning the moral
>rectitude and dimensionality of high fiber
>reprocessed paper products everywhere."

the softrat
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."
mailto:softrat@pobox.com
--
"Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you." - Your
buddies