Re: How to setup sound under Debian

Alsa modules are in the standard kernel in the 2.6 series. I assume you are running Sarge or Sid. You need to install the alsa-base and alsa-utils packages. Look in /usr/share/doc/alsa-base - this describes some changes to how alsa works and how the modules are loaded. Unfortunately I had sound working on a 2.6.3 kernel but can't since I moved to 2.6.6. Still investigating.

Tony Middleton

linuxnand@netscape.net wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to understand how to setup sound under Debian.
I am using a 2.6.6-1-686 kernel and I have noticed that there are no alsa modules for this kernel on the online repositories that I am using.

So, how do I set it up? Are there any updated howtos?

I am enjoying using Debian, discovering how it works. As soon as I setup this desktop I will remove SuSE from my notebook and use Debian.

Thanks,
Charlie.

Switch to the New Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.