Re: Newbie installation

First, I think the latest Debian-Installer is not included in the CDs you downloaded. You should boot and install from a netinst install cdrom downloaded from here (110MB) (even if you don't install from net) : http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/i386/current/sarge-i386-netinst.iso

At the end of the install, you just have to let it scan the 14 cdroms to continue the install with them.

If you just finished the base-installation without scanning the 14 cdroms, you can use the command "apt-setup" to rescan and include them in the apt database.

After that, you can run "tasksel" to install a predefined set of packages,
or you can individually install them with "apt-get install ..."
You can also run aptitude or dselect, but they are not very easy to use.

The debian-installer manuals are here :
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/svn/debian-installer/installer/doc/INSTALLATION-HOWTO
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/
http://wiki.debian.net/DebianInstallerFAQ
And a wiki : http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianInstaller

regards
Christophe Combelles

Martin Dowie a écrit :
Hi all!
I'm a first-time GNU/Linux (wanna-be) User although I have some Un*x experience. I've downloaded all 14 Sarge .iso CDs and have happily managed to get a system that will now boot to a command line after installing from CD1. I used the default partitioning for multi-users. I notice that while booting there are several failures - but the screen is flying by at this point and I can't see what they are. Is there a 'boot log' I can 'cat|more' though? I'm also now at a lose as to how to install stuff from the other CD's - in particular I would like GNOME as my desktop environmnet and to be able to use my Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL modem. I've searched high and low for a Debian installation guide for dummies but I either find stuff that is more "... for Experts" or I find 1,000's of hits that don't really seem to cover what I want. Can someone recommend a link for me as to what to do now? TIA -- Martin