Re: Wierd Question

> Definately.  Here in Berkeley, the UC leans in the BSD
> direction, as I'm sure you can imagine (this is not

Speaking as a current Berkeley CS student, I feel that UC Berkeley
leans in the direction of Solaris. I have yet to see a BSD workstation
in any of the main computer labs, which is ironic considering its
origins. Most of the programming labs here at Berkeley are stocked
with Sun Rays connected to a Solaris 9 server.

> > Majoring in languages makes no sense to me, unless
> you want to be
> > pigeonholed into one language for the rest of your
> life.

I would second that statement. Here at Berkeley (and I believe at most
universities too), students are taught programming concepts and
theories, rather than actual languages. While the first semester CS
course focuses on Scheme (a Lisp dialect), the goal is to teach
students to think as programmers. After completing the class, students
should be able to transfer their skills to any programming language.

> > development.

Well, topics like driver development are covered in upper-division CS
and EE courses. I don't think they would serve well as majors, though.
It really narrows down the field of your experience. I'd rather major
as CS with a speciality in driver development than just be a driver
developer.

-Stephen Le