Six GMail Invites, First come, First Served!

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:38:26 -0700, Daved Daly <daved.daly@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps you've misunderstood the concept of "Beta". :)

    Uh, no.  Been on quite a few betas in my time.

> If you think it lacks features or doesnt work how it would best suit
> you have you botherd to send a "feature request/suggestion/comment"
> message to their customer support group?

    Nope because the problem stems from the very core of how they are
doing things.

> Personaly, I think GMail is great for viewing mailing lists with, it's
> primarily the only application I use it for... since for most other
> communication I'd rather send mail from my personal domain name.

    How so?  It is extremely bad for it.  I gave it the most simple of
tests.  2 lists.  That's it.  2 lists.  I'm on the same 2 lists
elsewhere.  In GMail it is a mess and that mess stems from what they
are doing.  On the traditional client or even another webmail client
it isn't as much of a mess.

> It's use of Labels is simliar to any other mail application segmenting
> messages into different Folders.

    Granted.  But tell me how I can get a clear, concise view of new
mail in a reasonable manner using labels.  First problem, labels
include all archived mail.  Of course since they make it so difficult
to actually delete mail it means that in less than an hour or two
using labels to separate things out is a complete and total mess.
There's no clear deliniation between new and old mail.

> Tho, their filter rules are adequate but they could use more options,
> some of which they are already working on.

    You'd think they'd just have a simple option of allowing complete
headers to be filered on so we could use "List-id: debian-user@" as a
filter.  Nope.

> Their spam filters do require a good bit of training and have a
> problem with flagging legitimate messages as spam in the beginning.

    Quite so.

> I'm curious as to why you consider Hotmail as better?

    Because Hotmail is not taking the tried and true methods of the
past and throw them out the window.  With Hotmail the basics are
covered up front.  Folders, check.  Filters to get mail into those
folders (not great, but hey, it's Hotmail) check, the ability to see
at a glance what folders have new mail and be able to find it at a
glance, know who its from at a glance and what it's about, check.
Those aren't possible with GMail.  Great, so this "conversation"
consists of Steve, Daved, James, John and Louie.  Only one of those is
readily identifiable, the rest are rather common names.  On my main
client, Hotmail and my own Webmail (Squirrelmail) I can at least tell
at a glance who it is from, identify relevant and current threads as
opposed to "Oh, this one was replied to recently" and, here's the
kicker, selectively delete messages.  In GMail you either archive
(which causes problems), delete whole threads (thereby running the
risk of deleting the one or two messages you want to keep) or go
through a 5-step process per message to delete it.  That's a
fundimental and basic problem stemming from their attempt to throw out
the tried and true method of reading mail and replace it with
something new but ultimately inferior.

    Great concept, could be better integrated into how things are done
instead of trying to foist another screwy way of doing things that
will have net vets gnashing their teeth for years to come just like
top posting has done.  >.<

    Geh, sorry Daved for the duplicate, forgot to reset the to field
on the 2nd edit.  Uhm, but the good thing is I forgot one more point.
2 lists.  Debian-user and Exim.  1Mb a day.  Which means under the
flawed archive method this account lasts a little over 2 years.  Just
slightly less than "forever".  Of course this isn't a full mail load
and my mail load, outside of debian-user, is actually surprisingly
light.  My parents, for example, whoa....  not many high-volume lists
like d-u but LOTS of moderate volume lists.  1Mb a day is an
understatement for them.  IE, limited space, no matter what the limit
+ a fscking difficult way to delete mail effectively = of limited use
to all but the most casual user.

--
Displaced but never erased.