> > fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 13
>   #
>   logconfig       all
>   logfile         /var/log/xntpd
>   #
>   broadcastclient
>   #
>   authenticate no

Are you implying just to add those line, or to replace (ie. remove)
lines after "fudge" line (ie. the two "restrict" lines on my laptop conf
file)?

Any idea why Debian doesn't currently have a "sane" ntp.conf example -
or is my setup with two servers too complex (/uncommon)?

> it didn't work, laptop isnt sync'ing yet
> ( offset/distance should not be zero )

Thanks for the run-down.

I also did /etc/init.d/ntp-server restart, first on server, then on
laptop, after config changes.

Besides being unsure of the above (I commented out the two restrict
lines), I'll see how I go... after may be 15 minutes, it seems that the
laptop seems to be pretty steadily one second ahead of the server.

I'm thinking having ntp-simple installed on laptop might create problems
- I just remembered I installed it quite some time ago to try to get
accurate time on my laptop.

Should I remove ntp-simple?

Is ntp-server all I need even when I take the laptop home and dial up
for net access?

And now, finally on the laptop, after uncommenting the two restrict
lines in ntp.conf, restarting the laptops ntp server, and letting it sit
for a while:

~# ntptrace tk1.ihug.com.au
tk1.ihug.com.au: stratum 2, offset 0.000366, synch distance 0.009617
~# ntptrace whiskas
whiskas: stratum 11, offset 0.000000, synch distance 0.000000
~# ntptrace
localhost: stratum 3, offset -0.003140, synch distance 0.014200
gen22.ihug.com.au: stratum 2, offset -0.000148, synch distance 0.009568
murgon.cs.mu.OZ.AU: stratum 1, offset 0.000007, synch distance 0.000000,
refid 'GPS'

I'm guessing that at this point it will bed in after a while?

If I want it to sync with my server, should I lower the "stratum" number
of the server - and if so what to?

thanks
zen