XTerm resources: disabling bold characters

Hello,

I am struggling with consistently disabling the use of bold characters in XTerm (xterm).

When starting a new xterm (with no options) from an existing one, text is correctly rendered without bold characters and overstriking.

Launching an xterm from my WM as:
"xterm -font 7x14 -rv -sl 1000 -geometry 80x60+0+0" also results in the desired rendering.

However, when I use the XTerm menu to change (as I do regularly) the font to Huge (10x20) or anything else and then later back to 7x14 (Medium, and also Default now), text is rendered using bold characters or overstriking (whichever of the two it is).

Since I have color, and since at small sizes the bold characters are not well defined and are difficult to read, I would like characters with the bold attribute to render simply as color characters rather than bold characters.

I believe I should be able to accomplish this with the colorBDMode option, but this does not produce the expected results.

Instead, I have gotten it to work (in the limited way described above) with a combination of boldMode, font, and boldFont, where boldMode (off) as I understand it prevents the rendering of bold characters when font and boldFont are the same.

Note: toggling the value of boldColors has no effect (which I suppose is expected).

I'm not using TrueType fonts.

I'd appreciate any help or direction.

System and Configuration Info:
XFree86 and XTerm from unstable.

I start X from a console as:
$ startx & logout

.xinitrc contains the line:
xrdb .Xdefaults

.Xdefaults contains:
!! Use colors
XTerm*VT100*colorMode: on

!! Don't overstrike when font and boldFont are the same
XTerm*VT100*boldMode: off
XTerm*VT100*font: 7x14
XTerm*VT100*boldFont: 7x14

XTerm*VT100*boldColors: off

!! Display bold attribute as color instead of bold characters
XTerm*VT100*colorBDMode: on

!! Change definition of "Medium" font
*fontMenu*font4*Label:  Medium
*VT100*font4:       7x14