X, video card,monitor, refresh rates, etc.

Can't get X to work.  Using a Micro-Star video card built on the nVidia
GeForce FX chipset with an Optiquest Q110 monitor.  The specs on the monitor
are: Fh=30-97 khz, Fv=50-160 hz, with resolutions up to 1600x1200.  Couldn't
find a specific nVidia GeForce FX driver, so am using the "nv" generic
nVidia driver.

Under some modes, the display can be barely made out, lots of horizontal
"jumping", hard to describe.  In other modes, the screen is just black, or
gdm tells me it can't start the X server, or the monitor tells me that Fv is
out of range- 49 hz.

I've monkeyed around a bunch with the XF86Config file to get the various
effects mentioned above.  Do I need a specific GeForce driver?  How do I
download and build XFree86 4.4.0 (the latest version?  I'm new to Linux,
although have lots of other Un*x experience).  Can I download just a GeForce
driver and build it?  How (or please point me to a how-to)?

Any hints on configuring the XF86Config file?  I've seriously monkeyed
around with the HorizSync and VertRefresh parameters already, with no luck.

TIA,
Allen