Re: X, video card,monitor, refresh rates, etc.

--- Allen Williams <anw@csunv.com> wrote:
> Can't get X to work.  Using a Micro-Star video card
> built on the nVidia
> GeForce FX chipset with an Optiquest Q110 monitor.
> The specs on the monitor
> are: Fh=30-97 khz, Fv=50-160 hz, with resolutions up
> to 1600x1200.  Couldn't
> find a specific nVidia GeForce FX driver, so am
> using the "nv" generic
> nVidia driver.
>
> Under some modes, the display can be barely made
> out, lots of horizontal
> "jumping", hard to describe.  In other modes, the
> screen is just black, or
> gdm tells me it can't start the X server, or the
> monitor tells me that Fv is
> out of range- 49 hz.
>
> I've monkeyed around a bunch with the XF86Config
> file to get the various
> effects mentioned above.  Do I need a specific
> GeForce driver?  How do I
> download and build XFree86 4.4.0 (the latest
> version?  I'm new to Linux,
> although have lots of other Un*x experience).  Can I
> download just a GeForce
> driver and build it?  How (or please point me to a
> how-to)?

which kernel you've been using ?
if you're using kernel under 2.6 then just apt-get
nvidia-kernel-'uname -r', nvidia-kernel-common,
nvidia-kernel-source, nvidia-glx.
if you're using 2.6 kernel ( which i dunno if debian
already has a package for it...or else :-) ) you need
to download latest nvidia driver for linux on nvidia
website and build it.
if you dunno how you can search in this mailing list
archieve. there are already a bunch of it.

cheers,

  me