Re: /.journal, /root-n

Now that you mention it, I too checked and there are two files in /
-rw-------    1 root     root     33554432 May 12 15:19 .journal
-rw-------    1 root     root         1274 May 29 08:45 .viminfo

.journal just as you said, and file called .viminfo. I have no idea
where it came from as i have never installed a non-deb package on this
system. However, the partition was originally an ext2 and I later
converted it to ext3 by adding a journal.

--Sudarshan
========
Admiration, n.: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves. -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary