/.journal, /root-n

I have a file in the root directory, /.journal, big, but it hasn't
been written or accessed in years.  I suppose this must be an early
ext3 artifact and today's ext3's journal is hidden. I suppose I'll
remove it. My other ext3 partitions have no such file.

While we're at it, there's an empty file, /root-n that hasn't been
accessed for months. Wonder what that is all about?  Safe to remove?
$ dlocate /root-n
gives nothing, i.e. another Debian "unregistered stray dog" mystery file.
(Well, if all the dogs were registered then I could be confident that
it was created by my typo and remove it. As of now who knows what
script might have created it.)