Re: /.journal, /root-n

* Dan Jacobson (jidanni@jidanni.org)[20040621 11:26]:
> I have a file in the root directory, /.journal, big, but it hasn't
> been written or accessed in years.  I suppose this must be an early
> ext3 artifact and today's ext3's journal is hidden. I suppose I'll
> remove it. My other ext3 partitions have no such file.

I wouldn't remove it.  The .journal file should be hidden
next time the partition is fscked.  Has that happened?

> While we're at it, there's an empty file, /root-n that hasn't been
> accessed for months. Wonder what that is all about?  Safe
> to remove?

This one I've never heard of, so I can't say one way or
another.  I serously doubt that any package that would
create such a file would have made it into Debian without
there being some major dust kicked up about such a sloppy
policy violation.  If you don't have any other ideas of what
it could be (some third-party software?) you're probably
safe removing it.

good times,
Vineet