Re: Sony DSC P72 Digital Camera on USB port

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 06:09 am, Ajitabh Pandey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using plan woody 3.0r2 with the default 2.2
> kernel. I wanted to attach my Sony DSC P72 digital
> camera to the usb port. Hardware is old IBM
> 300GL(Pentium MMX/166, 64MB RAM, 2GB HDD, 2xUSB ports
> etc). I tried gphoto but it did not have my camera
> listed in the camera list under Configure option. I
> checked /proc/bus and the usb directory is not there.
> Does this mean that USB support is not there in the
> kernel. I can see hotplug is running.
>
> Does the default woody 2.2 kernel has USB support
> built in or do I have to compile it again? In case I
> need to compile the kernel, does the 7 binary CD set
> has the 2.2 kernel source.
>
> I have source for 2.6.3 (and I think my 7 CD set has
> 2.4 source also), which I can recompile. On the
> specified hardware do you guys recommend the 2.6.3
> kernel? I hope compiling doesn't take ages :-)
>
> Regards.
> Ajitabh Pandey

The Sony DSC P72 is listed under the version of gphoto2 in Testing. You
need to have USB setup and also set permissions for anyone other than
root to use the camera.

http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html

I would use the 2.4 kernel in Woody for better USB support. Gphoto2 ( in
Testing) lists PTP support for the Sony, though USB mass storage may
work also, (mounting as a scsi device).

--
Greg Madden