Sony DSC P72 Digital Camera on USB port

Hello,

I am using plan woody 3.0r2 with the default 2.2
kernel. I wanted to attach my Sony DSC P72 digital
camera to the usb port. Hardware is old IBM
300GL(Pentium MMX/166, 64MB RAM, 2GB HDD, 2xUSB ports
etc). I tried gphoto but it did not have my camera
listed in the camera list under Configure option. I
checked /proc/bus and the usb directory is not there.
Does this mean that USB support is not there in the
kernel. I can see hotplug is running.

Does the default woody 2.2 kernel has USB support
built in or do I have to compile it again? In case I
need to compile the kernel, does the 7 binary CD set
has the 2.2 kernel source.

I have source for 2.6.3 (and I think my 7 CD set has
2.4 source also), which I can recompile. On the
specified hardware do you guys recommend the 2.6.3
kernel? I hope compiling doesn't take ages :-)

Regards.
Ajitabh Pandey