Re: Window Managers

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:34:24PM +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There was a thread in this list last week where people were asked if the
> preferred KDE or Gnome, and the majority of people who posted a reply
> basicaly said "neither". They all said they went with a window manager
> and no desktop and their machines were the better for it.
>
> I have used Gnome for quite a while now, but this thread made me wonder
> why I do, and I cannot think of a good reason. I have been googling for
> a few days now looking for an account of just how much a performance hit
> Gnome or KDE are and what the respective speed and comparative
> performances are for the various window managers.
>
> I thought I would be awash with articles, but I cannot find anything
> that compares the options. Can someone tell me where I can find anything
> on this subject

I would take a look at http://www.xwinman.org and check out your options. I
find XFce4 (http://www.xfce.org) and VTWM suit my needs fine. They run very
well on all the machines that I regularly work on, which range from a
133MHz 486 with 32MB of RAM all the way through 2GHz P-4s with 512MB of
RAM.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/