Re: Window Managers

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:34:24 +0100, Keith O'Connell
<kroc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I have used Gnome for quite a while now, but this thread made me wonder
> why I do, and I cannot think of a good reason. I have been googling for
> a few days now looking for an account of just how much a performance hit
> Gnome or KDE are and what the respective speed and comparative
> performances are for the various window managers.

Just remember that if you are using less than 100% of your resources,
then you have paid for something you are not using. Filling up memory
is not the problem: its the swapping in and out of tasks which have
and have not been used etc. which cause the performance penalties. As
more intelligent VM and scheduling algorithms are divised, we'll see
less and less of a problem. Right now with a bit of understanding of
what you use and when etc. you can maintain a high load and still have
responsive computing.

--
Jon Dowland