Re: All mozilla-based browsers crash on some sites

On Monday, 21 Jun 2004 05:03, Dan Korostelev wrote:
> I have a problem (for two weeks) with Mozilla browsers on my unstable
> box.
>
> I have three mozilla-based browsers installed: Mozilla itself, Firefox
> and Epiphany (my main browser), and each of them crash on some sites.
> For example on http://incoming.debian.org/ or
> http://people.debian.org/~mvo and other (non-debian too)
>
> Did anyone have a problem like this???

I have, a while ago, but I have no idea if it's for the same reason.

Going out on a limb here, but I've noticed Mozilla and other GTK apps die
horribly if, for some reason, not all fonts are world readable and they try
to use them, so check the file permissions on your font files, they should be
644.

> Sorry for lack of info, I dunno what to write about. I have latest
> unstable version of all stuff installed and use 2.6-k7 linux kernel.
> Just ask me what you want if you need more info. Thanks.

Chronology is always important: did it work fine before, or did you simply not
use those browsers before? What changes preceded the breakage?

Does it work as root? (You may want to grab a page that's not working remotely
and put it on your computer locally with wget or some other browser, removing
all external references.)

Run it from a console and see if you get any error messages. (The mozilla
startup scripts, for some reason, seem to send standard error to /dev/null,
so you may have to edit those.)

Any other GTK programs behaving badly?

--
Alex Nordstrom