nvidia installation

I am currently using a workstation with SuSE installed. Don't worry, this really does get on topic.

It's been like this for about 9 months now and has been satisfactory with some exeptions about things that belong on a SuSE list.

In the past two months I have finished my "expirement" with running SuSE on my servers and workstations and have recently finished migrating everything over from SuSE back to Debian.

I've recently upgraded the SuSE kernel and as such have been faced with a wonderful combination of problems that I just don't care to mess with anymore. I can't find it in their docs, online, or onlist, but my cpu's reported load is excessively weird. It reports as >10.0 but has no apparent effect.

So, now I have my excuse to finish my migration.

But before I do:

Is there some way to use the "stock" kernel-image-2.6 deb packages without rebuilding my own kernel and use NVIDIA drivers? The howto's imply that this can only be done by building your own kernel. I can and have in the past, but I really don't care to anymore as it's not a significant win for me.

About the only thing that keeps me here on SuSE is the fact that I have found a lot of good support for multimedia software. I can do niceties like rip DVD's and watch them on my PC. Saves on late fees! I'm also interested in something like MythTV (I know, another mailing list but...).
Where can I find the libraries to get xine support for avi/mpeg/wmv files?
Can someone give an assessment as to where MythTV is in regard to using on a Debian-testing installation?