Re: nvidia installation

Hi Tom!

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Tom Allison wrote:

[snip]

> Is there some way to use the "stock" kernel-image-2.6 deb packages
> without rebuilding my own kernel and use NVIDIA drivers?  The howto's
> imply that this can only be done by building your own kernel.  I can and
> have in the past, but I really don't care to anymore as it's not a
> significant win for me.

[snip]

I'm running the stock 2.6.5 kernel image with nvidia's drivers.

The only thing I had to do was:
1. Install kernel-headers
apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)

2. Create a sym link that points to the headers
ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-$(uname -r) /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/build

3. Install Nvidia drivers.
Just execute NVIDIA-Linux-x86-*.*-****-pkg1.run and it will build the
driver.

I've done this on every kernel I've used since 2.4.

--
Nobody likes sunburn slappers.

--
 B. L. Jilek F92D0DD1  | Reap the Freedom!  Use Linux!  |  ICQ: 83785391
 bljilek@topazcrow.com |      Check out this site.      |  Yahoo: bljilek