Re: Xserver didn't start

On Sunday 20 June 2004 01:01, mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> > You have to set the repeat type in "gpmconfig" (or manually in
> > /etc/gpm.conf and then restart gpm); the official repeat type I
> > believe is supposed to be "ms3" (there's a thread from this list
> > about 4 or 8 months ago in which the author of gpm, or a quote from
[...]
> Kent,
> Thanks for the info, I will look into all that asap.

FWIW, I followed that thread (or two of three), and the advice Derrick
`dman` gave repeatedly.  What I have in my /etc/gpm.conf as a result
is:
  repeat_type=ms3
  device=/dev/input/mice
  type=imps2

which gives a working console mouse, and then in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4,
the stanza in question is:
  Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "USB Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Protocol" "IntelliMouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Buttons" "3"
  EndSection

and that makes it work in X.

Derrick stressed the need to get the console working first, then do the
X.  Maybe you can use the exact same setup, but probably not as I am
using kernel 2.4.25-1-386.

--
richard