Re: Sound system

MillTek wrote:

I went to install alsa-base from apt-get and I got this result;

apt-get install alsa-base
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
 alsa-utils
Suggested packages:
 apmd alsadriver
 alsa-base alsa-utils
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/175kB of archives.
After unpacking 614kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 1:
field name `contains' must be followed by colon

Anyone have any idea what this is about?

Answered that one myself. Appears that a file called 'available' in /var/lib/dpkg is badly corrupted (had a power failure here today. Does anyone have any idea where I can get a fresh copy or how to generate one?

I believe you can just rename the file to get it "out of the way", and then rerun "apt-get update".

But before doing installing alsa-base, are you in the audio group (log in as yourself and type "groups" to see which groups you're in. If you're not in the audio group, add yourself by typing (as root) "adduser jim audio" where "jim" is your login name; then logout/log back in.

Also, what modules do you have loaded? Try "lsmod" to show the modules; you should see (among others,) something like:

snd_pcm_oss            53732  0
snd_mixer_oss          19840  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_via82xx            26144  0
snd_pcm               100196  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_via82xx
snd_timer              25924  1 snd_pcm
snd_ac97_codec         62724  1 snd_via82xx
snd_page_alloc         12164  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart         7872  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi            25120  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8136  1 snd_rawmidi
snd 55780 9 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_via82xx,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
via82cxxx_audio        29896  0
uart401                11716  1 via82cxxx_audio
sound                  83820  2 via82cxxx_audio,uart401
soundcore              10272  3 snd,via82cxxx_audio,sound
ac97_codec             18828  1 via82cxxx_audio

Of these, I think the last five are the most critical. Of course, since your audio is i810-based instead of via82x-based, you'll want the i810 modules. Run "modconf" and look for i810 or Intel Integrated sound drivers, or just manually try "modprobe i810_audio" (look under /lib/modules/[your module version]/kernel . . . for the available module names you can try), and if it works, add this name to /etc/modules for future boots.

--
Kent