Re: Sound system

MillTek wrote:

Jeff Elkins wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:31:38 -0500, MillTek wrote
Kent West wrote:

MillTek wrote:

Hi,

As a Linux noob, I have tried many many googling sessions to get sound working on the Sarge 2.6.6 installation I have. My machine has an Abit NF7-M motherboard with and NForce2 chipset. I tried the Music player in the KDE menu (rhythmbox) and when I do I get the following message;

osscommon: Unable to open /dev/dsp (in use ?)

Doers anyone have any idea exactly what steps I should follow to get it wotking? I do know that the machine will work in 2.6.5 as I tried it under Knoppix and it was OK.

I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thanks
Jim

My guess is that the sound module is not being loaded. Try running "modconf" and selecting the correct module for your sound chipset.

Kent,
I loaded and ran modconf. There are a number of sound drivers being loaded. What else can I try?

Thanks,
Jim

I wonder if it's a permission issue. When root can you play a sound from the command line? Try 'play something.wav' as root. You may need to apt-get
install sox.

Jeff

OK,
I installed alsa-oss. Used the KDE control center to switch to using ALSA and tried playing an mp3. It made sound for about 1 second and stopped, however the timer kept going as if it was playing. Had a power failure so had to reboot. Now I get an Informational artsmessage;
Error while initializing the sound driver
device: default can't be opened for playback (no such file or directory) The sound server will continue using the null output device.

We're nearly there!!

Jim

I found these enreies in my syslog - if this helps. The system does seem to find the sound chips.

Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel:
Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel: handlers:
Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel: [__crc_set_user_nice+1036933/6470000] (i810_interrupt+0x0/0x67 [i810_audio])
Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel: Disabling IRQ #20
Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel: i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels. Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel: i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel: i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ALG32 (ALC650) Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel: i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0, new EID value = 0x05c7 Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel: i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0, DAC map configured, total channels = 6
Jun 19 14:13:21 localhost kernel: i810_audio: setting clocking to 48648

Jim

I went to install alsa-base from apt-get and I got this result;

apt-get install alsa-base
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
 alsa-utils
Suggested packages:
 apmd alsadriver
 alsa-base alsa-utils
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/175kB of archives.
After unpacking 614kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 1:
field name `contains' must be followed by colon

Anyone have any idea what this is about?

Jim

Answered that one myself. Appears that a file called 'available' in /var/lib/dpkg is badly corrupted (had a power failure here today. Does anyone have any idea where I can get a fresh copy or how to generate one?

Jim