Re: user x login fails

Tadek wrote:

(sorry for double posting but my initial post in lists.debian.org was
rejected since I had to
subscribe first and after I did 2nd email address was given to me for
posting)

Dear friends,

I encountered following problem (using debian sarge):
- after installing k3b (apt-get), opera (dpkg from opera for sarge)
and adobe reader in this order, I can not x login as ordinary user; I
can still X login as a root; kde and gnome behave the same. When I
enter user name and password in x client login dialog, screen blanks
for second or two, X grey screen appears with X cursor and login
dialog appears again.

- in addition if I after successful login as root and starting kde session,
I cannot close kde shell konsole; windows stays on but shell console is
dead;

I tried:
- removed file /home/xxx/.kde
- removed k3b and opera
- upgraded installed packages
- reinstalled k3b and opera

I am relatively new to linux and very new to debian distribution.  Any help
and/or pointers will be
appreciated.

Regards,
Tad

Shell out of the graphical login manager (Ctrl-Alt-F2 should do it) and log in as a normal user there. Then shut down your login manager (with something like "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop", replacing "sudo" with whatever method you use to perform this function as root, and replacing "kdm" with the name of whatever login manager you're using, almost certainly kdm, wdm, gdm or xdm). Then try starting X with "startx" (as the normal user).

Does it work?
Yes - then something's wrong with the login manager's setup.
No - then try creating a "~/.xinitrc" file and putting the single line of "icewm" in it, and make sure icewm is installed (sudo apt-get install icewm). Now try "startx".

Does it work?
Yes - then something is wrong with your normal window manager / desktop environment (KDE)?
No - then something's wrong with X itself.

Let us know the results, and we'll go from there.

--
Kent